Historic Highfield Hall in Falmouth was built as a summer residence in 1878 on a 700- acre parcel of land by the Beebe family of Boston. In 1972, the estate’s woodlands were donated to the Town of Falmouth for permanent conservation, and Highfield Hall with its surrounding 6-acre property were donated to a local arts organization. In 2000, the Town took the Hall by eminent domain and signed a lease with the Historic Highfield, Inc. non-profit corporation to renovate and operate the Hall as a function rental space.
With $8 million in private funding, Highfield Hall underwent an extraordinary restoration effort that took 6 years to complete. Renovations included installation of a new, red cedar roof; restoration of original windows and doors; installation of a new septic system; pouring of a new concrete foundation; installation of an elevator and handicap ramps; and design and construction of a new parking area and path system. Most remarkably were the successful removal of the 1950s façade and the recreation of the original configuration based on historic photographs. Paint analysis was used to restore of historic color schemes. The project was recognized with Massachusetts Historical Commission Historic Preservation Award.