Located on the Island of Martha’s Vineyard, off the east coast of Massachusetts, West Tisbury covers 34 square miles and has a year-round population of 2,612. Incorporated as a town in 1892, West Tisbury contains the original site of the European settlement of Middletown, and includes the communities of North Tisbury (originally called “Newtown”) and Christiantown.
The historic Town Hall was renovated and expanded to accommodate a new addition and the restoration of the existing historic structure to meet modern town office requirements. First, the Town Hall structure was lifted off of its foundation and a new full basement was constructed for the existing building and the proposed new addition. Next, a concrete shaft was constructed to house a new basement-to-third floor elevator, and the new building addition was framed up. Then, the existing building structure was reinforced with a structural steel skeleton to accommodate column-free interior office space and meeting rooms. Finally, the entire building was re-shingled and solar panels were installed on the roof.
During the renovation project, the Town Hall offices were temporarily relocated to trailers in the back yard and to the Town annex building – with no disruption in service to Town residents or visitors.